Friday 27 April 2007

Why I'm running

If anyone asks me, I will happily tell them that I believe Chris Warren, Mark Ryan, Louise Connor and the staff of the MEAA are doing the best they can in difficult circumstances.

Like all unions, the MEAA is fighting a rearguard action to protect your rights at work in a hostile environment.

I'm not running for election because I'm a critic of the union or of its administration.

This is why I'm running:

Last year, most of the Victorian branch council came to the conclusion that the council was no longer a functional, decision-making organisation. We were worn out and exasperated by both our lack of real power in determining things like budgets, staff numbers and union policies; and by the interminable, petty debates that turned the meetings into marathon talkfests.

So when the union hierarchy proposed abolishing the state branch council for a new structure, most of us voted in favour with relief.

Hey, I'm as guilty as the rest of us. But, in hindsight, it was handled badly. We should have put it to a referendum of all members and clearly articulated our intentions before voting to abolish the branch council.

That's history now. But I still felt I had a responsibility to continue representing Victorian journalist members in the new federal structure. I couldn't just walk away from the end of the branch council, wipe my hands of it, and say that's that.

Still, I equivocated and even told the state secretary I was still sitting on the fence until a couple of days before nominations closed, and I thought, what the Hell, and put my name in.

In the meantime, the federal and state union secretaries had been busy tapping people on the shoulder to run for positions. This is the way it usually happens, and quite often we end up with x number of candidates for x number of positions. I've even benefitted from it in the past. All very neat and no need for an election. But not very democratic.

My decision to nominate upset that plan.

There are 25 candidates for 24 positions in the Media section. Every one of them is a quality candidate and someone I would be happy to sit on federal council alongside.

But having nominated, I now have to campaign to win, even if that means the union secretary and president telling people not to vote for me. I don't mind losing fairly and squarely, but I do have a problem with intervention in the democratic process.

That's why I'm telling people to approach the task of casting their ballot with an open mind and vote for all candidates for all positions after carefully considering their candidates' statements - not what other people may tell them.

That's democracy.

Decide for yourself.

No comments: